In written English in academic works, research papers or essay writing, you have to use the materials of other authors and paraphrase them in your works.
Here, we will teach paraphrasing to help you in this difficult task.
Paraphrasing is compulsory for the following reasons:
- First, if you apply the original language of another author without any changes, you are limiting yourself in knowledge. Using paraphrasing, you create a material part of yourself, and it is better absorbed.
- Secondly, the authors of various texts, books and even website materials did not write their works specifically for your audience. In these materials, you need to alter or drop some things that will not work for your readers.
- Thirdly, the material, written by other authors, is considered their property. If you simply copy someone’s text, you may be accused of plagiarizing.
Let’s understand how to paraphrase.
Paraphrasing involves the use of synonyms and permutation of words. It is obligatory to preserve the meaning, but to change the original variant.
Examine the example of correct and inadequate paraphrasing:
Source: The political and economic crisis in the country was overcome after the president took resolute steps.
Incorrect paraphrasing: The crisis in political and economic fields that swallowed the whole country was overpassed due to the president’s decisive activity.
The correct paraphrasing: The president managed a set of successful and crucial moves that essentially improved critical political and economic affairs.
In the second sentence the permutation of words and synonyms are not always enough for a good paraphrase. In the third example the sentence structure was changed, which significantly changed the original text.
What are the ways of paraphrasing?
It is a creative process, but keep the following important points:
- The main idea, as well as personal statements, should be left in their original form.
- By changing the sentence structure and ordering the ideas contained in it, keep the logical connections between them.
To paraphrase a sentence, you can move a phrase from its beginning to the end and vice versa.
- Actively use synonyms to replace words in the original text, without forgetting to adapt them to your specific theme.
- If necessary, sentences may be combined and separated within the paragraph.
- Cite only in individual cases. Try to opt for this most interesting and important statements.
- Always compare your rehashed version with the source text. It is important not to lose the sense and do not miss the significant details.
- Quote a poem by using everything or a piece of it in the desired format; put it in the bibliography.
How to paraphrase mla or apa?
There are specific rules how to cite correctly in apa and mla formats. Even without direct citing, you are obliged to give direct credit of the paraphrase to that source.
How to cite a paraphrase?
You might think that if you paraphrase something, these are your words, and no citing is required. But a paraphrase is just your variant of someone’s ideas and must be quoted.
Now, knowing these rules of paraphrasing, you can write an article or term paper more successfully.